My Instagram

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH FILMMAKER JOE LEONE


Thank you Joe for taking the time to do this interview with NVRI. Kindly introduce yourself to our audience.


Hello! I'm Joe, and I'm a horror filmaholic. I've loved scary movies since I was a wee one, and have been writing creepy scripts for a long time. In 2017 I began making them as well (hence Parched Productions was born), and have been pushing hard to get to the next level of filmmaking (which at times can be as difficult as figuring out the box in Hellraiser).

 

Q. Tell us about your project Death Sentences, what is the premise of the film and what do you hope that the audience learns? 

Death Sentences explores a theme that I really enjoy: caveat emptor ("buyer beware" - and thanks for that one, high school Latin teacher Mr. Olivier). Basically, the idea that anything that seems easy in life, usually comes with an ominous price. The story takes us on a journey into the life of a blocked novelist, who is made a deal by her cousin's ghost: the spirit will finish her book for her, if our heroine can figure out who actually killed the cousin. It's really all about facing your true self, your flaws, and owning up to your mistakes. 



Q. You are not only the director, but wrote the screenplay. From script–to–screen, how close Death Sentences come to its original vision?

This one truly came out looking how I envisioned it, much more so than any of the other films I've done. I wrote it with all of our budgetary limits in mind, which definitely helped in its, ahem, execution. The actors were all amazing too (not including myself, haha), and they really helped create the mood and tone of the film. Plus being in the woods is always eerie and provides you with instant atmosphere.

 

Q. You cast the talented actress Remiara Eve who plays Arabella , how was it working with her?

Remi is a good friend, a very generous and caring person, and I absolutely love working on anything with her. She really understands character development, and brings such a fresh take to any role. She just gets it, and makes my job of directing her really easy. She's going to be huge, and soon, I believe.



Q. What was your drive behind making films?

The initial inspiration was simply that I wanted to see more of my horror scripts brought to life (instead of languishing in development purgatory with other production companies). Now I just want to keep bringing new perspectives to light, and really get into the deeper psychology of what makes people tick - and of course, create even scarier scenarios and cautionary tales.

 

Q. Who inspired you the most in the film industry and why?

While I love so many directors and writers (Eggers, Ducournau, Peele, Hitchcock...) the one person who sticks out the most is Stephen King. From a writing standpoint, he is, well, the King. His ability to vacillate between genres (I mean, he's tackled every single one (and subgenre) in the horror, thriller, and psychological drama sphere) is jaw-dropping. He's also responsible for all the films that have terrified me the most...



Q. If you could put one major celebrity in one of your films, who would it be and what would the film be about?

I have a thriller script that deals primarily with race relations, and I would 100% cast Lupita Nyong'o as the lead. She is a true talent, and is just so luminous onscreen. I've always thought she was beautiful and unbelievably talented, but her work in US was jaw-dropping. The way she created those two contrasting characters gave me chills.

 

Q. What are some of the things you enjoy doing when you are not filmmaking?

Not to sound trite, but nothing for me is more enjoyable than traveling. Either to old haunts I've been to and love, or even better, discovering new territories. Taking in the sights, and immersing myself in other cultures, is my favorite activity. Also, this gives me new inspiration, on the conscious and subconscious level (I hope). Just got back from a month-long trip to Europe, and it's got my mind percolating...



Q. What is next for Joe, do you have any projects in development?

Always! We have three films in post-production that ideally should be out this year: a psychological fantasy about a girl in a coma who must confront her inner demons to awake, Greet Your Demons (stars the indomitable Remi, in what I think is her best performance yet - and also showcases a ton of the awesome Parched alumni, and our new star Adrienne Laurén), a dark comedy/thriller about a couple who just can't seem to break up, Breakup Mountain, and the last installment in the Parched series, Parched 3: Beached (with a wild and fun cast all from Tampa). Also, hoping to shoot a supernatural horror about a real haunted town in Connecticut this fall.

 

Q.How can your fans get updates about you and your films? Your website or social media links?

Glad you asked! We're most active on Instagram, at @parchedproductions (this has all the updates and zany behind the scenes stuff). Check out www.facebook.com/ParchedTheMovie for the teasers and full trailers of the projects, and my YouTube (Joe Leone) has everything there too. Heck, there's even a TikTok out there (y'know, trying to stay relevant with the kiddos). Thank you very much for this, and anyone who read til the end!

 

Click link below to view trailer and rent or buy DEATH SENTENCES.

https://midnightreleasing.com/filmcatalog/death-sentences/


No comments