My Instagram

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR MARCUS SMALL


Thank you Marcus for taking the time to do this interview with NVRI. Kindly introduce yourself to our audience.

I’m originally from Greenville, NC. Whenever I say Greenville, people tend to think I’m talking about Greenville, SC. But no...North Carolina has its own Greenville. Nevertheless, I graduated from Winston-Salem State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication. And although that program was excellent, it more so concentrated in Journalism. That didn’t interest me. I wanted to edit movie trailers. So, that led to me moving down to Orlando, FL to attend Full Sail University. I graduated from their film program in 2008. However, while I was in school and shortly after graduating, I was editing music videos for artists like Flo-Rida, Trina and T-Pain. I then moved on to directing and producing commercials, corporate videos, PSA’s, and then Reality Shows. Since then, I’ve produced and edited shows for networks such as Bravo, MTV, CMT, etc. I’ve even sold a show to Lifetime. But, that still wasn’t enough. I wanted to fulfill my dream of editing movie trailers. Thanks to my producing partner John Hollaway, I got that opportunity...and even a bigger one by Directing a movie called “Unsheltered.”

 

Q. Tell us about your most recent project Unsheltered, what is the premise of the film and what do you hope that the audience learns?

The name of my film is called “Unsheltered.” My producing partner, John Hollaway, actually came up with the name. This is going to answer the next question, but the inspiration of the title actually came from the story. In this story, five college students are evacuating Florida because of hurricane Irma. During their journey to North Carolina, they take a detour to avoid the busy highways. However, they run out of gas...causing them to seek shelter in an abandoned airplane salvage yard. Little do they know, I deranged killer lives on the property. So, even though they think that they find shelter, they’re actually UnSheltered. That’s one of the lessons that the audience can learn from. Sometimes things aren’t as they appear.



Q. How did you come up with the idea for your film Unsheltered?

My producing partner, John Hollaway, actually came up with the concept. He pitched it to me and asked me to be the director. I instantly jumped on the opportunity and the rest is history. 

 

Q. You cast a great group of talented actors, how was it working with them?

The actors were amazing to work with. I always give freedom to my actors. That helps the creative process as well as the synergy on set.



Q. What was your drive behind making films?

I live off of providing moments of escapism for people that need a break from everyday life. I want people to watch the films and realize that they didn’t waste their time out of their day to be entertained. There are plenty of resources for entertainment out there in this world, so any time that someone chooses to be entertained by my content...I’m grateful.

 

Q. Who inspired you the most in the film industry and why?

My fraternity brother, Will Packer, has been the biggest inspiration for me because we have very similar backgrounds. He’s also set the blueprint for people like me to succeed in this industry.



Q. If you could put one major celebrity in one of your films, who would it be and what would the film be about?

This is tough one. But I’d have to choose Giancarlo Esposito. I’ve been a big fan of his since “School Daze.” So, to see where he is now in his career is mind-blowing.

 

Q. What are some of the things you enjoy doing when you are not filmmaking?

I love MMA and Boxing. So, you’ll either catch me watching those or in the gym training. I need to do more of the latter.



Q. What is next for Marcus, do you have any projects in development?

We’re currently in development for a NY-based crime drama. Hopefully things will continue to go smoothly with this process so fingers crossed.

 

Q.How can your fans get updates about you and your films? Your website or social media links?

Unsheltered is on Apple TV, VUDU, iTunes, and Amazon Prime Video. You can rent it or buy it. You can also follow the film page on Facebook and on Instagram (@Unsheltered_Film). My personal IG page is @DominoEffectPro


Click link below to view trailer and rent or buy UNSHELTERED today.

https://geni.us/Unsheltered




No comments