My Instagram

Interview with Josey Duncan | Founder of "Athletes Against Bullying"


Can you tell us about the inspiration behind starting "Athletes Against Bullying" and what motivated you to create this anti-bullying campaign? 


Athletes Against Bullying was inspired by my school’s annual mental health awareness initiative. My mental health suffered so much after being bullied, so reducing the chances of that happening to anyone else is really important to me. I knew if I could educate the youth early and correct those already partaking in negative behaviors, I could really make a difference. Since athletes play a huge role in influencing school culture, it only made sense that they should use that influence to promote a more positive school environment. 


As a student-athlete at Southside High School, how do you believe the influence of student-athletes can contribute to shaping a positive school culture and reducing instances of bullying? 


As Uncle Ben said, "With great power comes great responsibility.” Student-athletes can make a difference by being vocal or simply modeling the behavior we want to promote. As representatives of our families, sports, schools, and communities, doing the right thing is crucial. This is especially true if our sport carries us past high school. If NIL deals and sponsors are proof of anything, it’s how valuable an athlete’s influence truly is.


Could you elaborate on the specific goals of "Athletes Against Bullying" and how you envision student-athletes making a difference in the fight against bullying, both on and off the playing field? 


On a local scale, the goal is to “cancel” bullying. We’re living in times where “cancel culture” is thriving yet one in five kids is bullied during the school year. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that number to significantly drop if everyone is dedicated to the cause. 


What challenges have you encountered in implementing the anti-bullying curriculum, and how have you overcome them? 


A current challenge, but my primary selling point, is that I’m a student and have no formal qualifications. To me, it’s a huge positive because the curriculum is developed for students by a student, so it’s realistic and relatable. To educators and parents, it’s a huge risk because it wasn’t put together by a psychologist or an expert. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to overcome this challenge, but I’m currently working on it. 


How has the response been from both students and educators to the curriculum presentations, and what impact have you observed in the school communities where AAB Arkansas has been involved? 

The response has been very positive, but the impact seems to be most significant in the beginning. As with anything, the novelty wears off after a while, so there’s definitely a need for refresher presentations. Additionally, if the curriculum is implemented on an elementary or middle school level, it’s also necessary to implement the following stage. 



In your opinion, why is it crucial to address bullying at an early age, and how does the AAB Arkansas curriculum cater to the unique needs of different age groups? 

The AAB curriculum caters to the unique needs of various age groups as they tackle age-specific topics, and in my opinion, it’s never too early to start. There are lessons that we can learn, even as toddlers, that would help nip the bullying problem in the bud. Simple things like being kind or at least polite can go a long way.


Can you share any success stories or positive outcomes that have resulted from the efforts of "Athletes Against Bullying" in Arkansas schools? 

Yes! Last year, I received a lot of positive feedback from middle school students. At that age, they feel a great deal of pressure to be accepted, which has been a huge reason for not standing up to bullies in past. By guiding the standard for fitting in more towards anti-bullying, we start to see an opposite effect. Instead of a risk to social standing, anti-bullying then becomes a collective effort—no longer only accomplished by going against the grain. I think the most touching outcome was from a parent whose kids attend my previous school. Upon hearing of AAB, they reached out to tell me what a difference I made in them personally, not only by speaking out against my bullies, but not giving up whenever the solution offered at that school was not much of a solution at all. I think when things are done a certain way for so long and no one fights for change, people stop believing that it’s even possible. 


As a student-athlete taking on a leadership role in advocating against bullying, how do you balance your academic, athletic, and campaign responsibilities? 

Balancing was more difficult last year, when my academic course load was so full that I had to petition my college to approve my schedule. I also participated in multiple sports and extracurriculars, and since AAB was in its beginning stages, I sacrificed so much sleep. I have since adjusted my schedule. Right now, I’m only taking two online classes, and other than my All-American cheer performance at Disney and some light basketball training, my schedule allows me to prioritize the campaign. 


Looking ahead, what are your future plans for "Athletes Against Bullying," and how do you hope to expand its reach and impact in the coming years?

At its inception, the plan was for AAB to be more of a school club or extracurricular, so it has already expanded beyond expectation. As of right now, my plans for expansion include having the curriculum evaluated and vouched for by an expert in the field, personally contacting schools to offer our services instead of waiting for them to reach out, and combining efforts with a few out-of-state athletes for fundraisers and other community events. 






No comments