My Instagram

A Q&A interview with Singer/Songwriter Luchi on His Release anthemic New Single ‘You’ll Hurt More’


Q. Your journey in music began at a young age, writing songs in your bedroom. How has your songwriting process evolved from those early days to now?

With anything in life, the more you do it the better you get at it. I never really had any training so the songs started out as poetry really and then I would go into the studio and work out chords and melodies as when I was younger I didn’t play any instruments. I now play piano and know basic production so I write in different ways now, sometimes its a lyrical idea, sometimes a chord progression or a melody idea and can build it myself before going into production. I think as well, life experience adds to it, the more you go through the more material you have to draw on lyrically and you mature. When I look back at some of the songs I wrote at 13, there was a lot of teenage anger in them and I think as I have evolved as a person, my songwriting skills have improved too. 


Q. Your single "Don't Look Back" made a significant impact, storming into the top 10 on iTunes Singer/Songwriter Charts. What inspired the creation of this song and its success?

I can remember this like it was yesterday as I was so nervous to release my debut single as I wasn’t sure how it was going to be received. The song was inspired after moving to London, I had gone home for Christmas and realised that everyones lives had moved on without me and I felt a bit lost as to if I fitted in anymore. I had also changed and matured and I had to find a new way to be around people that were used to me being a certain person. I was still the same person but a lot more independent and evolved. 


Q. You've had the privilege of working with chart-topping songwriters behind artists like Katy Perry and Christina Aguilera. How have these experiences influenced your own music and artistic style?

It’s always nerve wracking to work with people you admire and look up to because you feel a pressure to be the best you can be but I’ve had great experiences and I approach people on a human level and I think they appreciate that. I don't ask for anything from them and some of the advice you get is invaluable. Every writer I’ve worked with has taught me something to carry on my journey with me.


Q. "Coming Home" reached No.2 on iTunes Singer/Songwriter Charts shortly after your debut. Could you share the story behind this song and its emotional resonance?

This song was so sad. I had a conversation with someone I know and they had just lost someone close to them and they kept picking up the phone wanting to call them but then realising that they couldn’t anymore as they had passed away. I really wanted to do the song justice as when its someone else’s story, you feel a responsibility to make sure that the song is authentic to their story. 


Q. Your upcoming release, "You'll Hurt More," features a captivating blend of piano, vocals, and intricate instrumentation. What was the inspiration behind this anthemic track?

The day I wrote this song, I got a message from my ex, years after we had split up, wanting to meet up for a coffee and a chat. I am a firm believer in not going backwards when it comes to relationships because there was a reason it didn’t work out in the first place so instead of replying to him, I wrote this song. It’s everything that I would have wanted to hear all those years ago. When you go through a break up, it can often be the case that one person struggles more than the other and if you’re anything like I used to be, you sit at home crying, stalking their social media then getting angry with seeing them out living their “best life” or how fast they move on so this was my way of addressing that. It can become a game, that no-one knows they are playing, of “who won the break up.” 


Q. You've not only pursued your own music but have also been deeply involved in mentoring and collaborating with emerging artists. How does this dual role of artist and mentor impact your creative perspective?

I love working with new up and coming talent. I am very honest with them about the industry and try share my experiences so that they don’t fall into the same pit holes I did. I am an open book so I create an environment that they feel safe to express themselves and I have made great friends. Also being in my 30s, working with younger artists keeps me up to date on the latest language and a lot of the time they are giving me tips on social media and things like that too. It is something that I would like to do more of and maybe do some managing in the future as I care about artists coming up and making sure that they have the best experiences possible. 


Q. Your music often carries a sense of emotional depth and sincerity. How do you maintain that genuine connection to your audience through your songwriting and performances? 

For people who have seen me live, they know that my songs are very deep and vulnerable but my personality is quite light hearted and I often lift the mood by cracking a few jokes, especially when dealing with technical issues. I’m also very approachable. I love hearing peoples stories and I’m genuinely interested in listening so I think that creates the connection. I think that my audience now knows that when I release a song, they can expect it to be honest and vulnerable so they can get a glimpse into my life and also relate it to their own story. 


Q. From writing camps in Nashville to collaborating with well-known artists, your musical journey has been quite diverse. How do these diverse experiences contribute to your versatility as an artist?

I think that you take something from every interaction you have and also working with someone outside off your genre also pushes you out of your comfort zone and thats what I love about pop music. It can drawn influence from all genres like country, r n b, hip hop… you can blend it in to pop music and its all experience. 

Writing camps are great because you often end up in a remote area, surrounded by like minded people and you get to know each other on a deeper level because you spend an intense amount of time together. I’ve made some great friends from these retreats with people all over the world from Japan to Australia and beyond, connections that would never have been possible without attending. 


Q. "You'll Hurt More" seems to have a rich and intricate musical arrangement. Could you take us behind the scenes and describe your creative process in bringing this song to life?

When I wrote the song last year, it started out with just a vocal and guitar but I could hear it being a big pop anthem in my head. I felt that this song was a really empowering break up anthem and I wanted to reflect that in the production. So me and my producer Chris Stagg got to work and I love that it’s quite different to the other stuff I have released recently in terms of it’s sound. We used live instruments on it to give it a very authentic feel while also being a pop uptempo banger and it has a bit of sass in it. There’s still vulnerability in it like all my songs have but it’s one to listen to with the windows of the car down, up full blast and singing at the top of your lungs.


Q. Your Social media?

Follow me on social media at www.instagram.com/luchi.music or www.tiktok.com/ @luchi.music.tiktok and I will keep you updated on all the latest goings on in Luchi Land :D




No comments