My Instagram

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH ACTOR AND DIRECTOR NICK NAYLOR ~ THE CONNECTION


Thank you Nick for taking the time to do this interview with NVRI. Kindly introduce yourself to our audience.

Hi, thank you for having me. I am an actor-director From Florida. I just wrapped my fifth feature film, “The Connection: Severed.”


2. Tell us about your project The Connection, what is the premise of the film and what do you hope that the audience learns?

The connection is a Sci-fi thriller based around Foster and Vera. During the film’s events, the two main characters have a stage and unusual meeting that leads to an even stranger connection. They then have to navigate new feelings, old relationships, and new abilities. It’s a roller coaster ride for sure.


3. Not only did you play a major role as an actor in the film, you also directed The Connection. Did you find it difficult to direct and act at the same time? Or was it easy for you?

Easy? Not at all! Going from actor to director on any film is challenging. But when you don’t have a “Studio budget” like major films have, you can’t do things like have four assistant directors and a ton of departments to prep every little thing for you.


4. Tell us a little about your character Foster.

Foster is an interesting character to play. He is a “normal guy” thrown into an impossible situation. It was an amazing challenge to find the right mindset to keep him grounded while attempting to navigate the situation he was thrown into.


5. From script–to–screen, how close did The Connection come to its original vision?

I would say it’s about 70% of what I had in mind. Not to say that’s a bad thing at all. I have never once made a film that turned out exactly how I planned it. I’m not even sure that’s possible. The film is “edited” or changed 3 times during the creation process. Once when writing it, once when shooting it, and once when editing it. That is what makes it such a special process; great ideas, concepts, and “magic” just happen during all these phases. It’s amazing to see it come to life.



6. What was your favorite day on set? Why?

 Well, I know this might sound like a “copout” answer, but I genuinely mean it, every day on set is the best day on set. Creating art in a room full of artists is an unexplainable thing; you just have to experience it. That’s what every day on set is like. Actors bring words to life, lighting and crew bring the set to life, and a camera captures it all. There is a whole army of people working together to create something; I can’t think of anything else I would rather do!


7. What other filmmakers inspire you to do what you do?

So many! I have had the pleasure of meeting so many amazing filmmakers, all of whom play some role in my doing what I do. But it’s honestly the audience I do it for. Giving people a short break from their daily lives, to just enjoy themselves, to laugh or cry, to make them angry towards the villain, or to feel love for the hero! That’s what inspires me.



8. Do you have any advice for young filmmakers like yourself?

Sure, don’t do it!! Ha!! But seriously, I always tell anyone wanting to enter this industry only to do it if you honestly don't’t want to do anything else. This is an industry where you will get a million rejections, spend thousands of hours practicing and honing your craft, spend thousands and thousands of dollars on classes, gear, gas, and travel, and still only have a slight chance of ever making it to the top 1%. So ONLY DO IT if you understand all that and still say to yourself, “I don’t care, I have to do this.”


9. What is next for Nick, do you have any projects in development?

Thank you for asking; yes, I have two features that are funded and in development as we speak. Those should be coming up in 2023. Currently, we are wrapping editing, coloring sound, and mastering on the Connection: Severed so that my life for the next few months.



10. How can your fans get updates about you and your films? Your website or social media links ?

People can find me on my official fan page on Facebook to keep up with all my current adventures!


Click link below to view trailer and rent or buy THE CONNECTION today.

midnightreleasing.com/filmcatalog/the-connection



No comments