My Instagram

Interview with Deronte Smith | Filmmaker, Producer, Writer & Director


Q: How would you describe yourself in one word?


Assertive.


Q: How do you feel when people leave good feedback about your work?


It is a form of flattery I suppose and I would be lying if I said it doesn’t make me feel good. But honestly, I try to stay as true to my vision as possible as I firmly believe there will always be a home for good content.



Q: Why do you feel this is the ideal profession for you?


I am a storyteller in the truest sense of the word. In a way, I am a purist, not because I think my work is better than others, but because I feel compelled to write from a place of depth and gravitas that isn’t germane to filmmaking anymore. I was a gifted writer from an early age but it wasn’t until years later that I learned how to marry the text with the video thereby opening a whole new dynamic for me. In particular, as an African American male, I have grown to learn the significant impact my work has on others who view it both here and around the world. I understand my place in helping shape the image and the narrative around other content creators who look like me, so there is a sense that my desire for success is bigger than me.



Q: Can you please tell us more about your new film PROSPER?


Prosper is a psychological thriller based on the return of a 300-year-old witch who lures unsuspecting youth to their demise as they participate in a demonic ritual where their souls are sacrificed for the greater good of the wretched witch.


It was shot locally in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia. Fun fact, the house of principal photography is actually occupied by a real spirit known to the occupants as “Mrs. Gray”. Mrs. Gray made her presence known multiple times throughout the shoot in fact, and we have footage and photos confirming as much.



Q: How do you manage your writing with direction/production work?


I work for hire and I produce my own stuff as well. I will say it is often easier to get the tone, look, and feel of what I am looking for when I am in full control. For me, directing is just an extension of my writing. I am known as a visual writer, so you can clearly see what I write. When I direct the words on the page that I have written, it feels like a natural progression. I would say that if I had a choice, I would not produce if I were both writing and directing. Producing is enough to manage by itself but I feel confident when I surround myself with quality people who I know I can count on to get the job done right.


Q: Where do you see yourself three years from now, or where would you like to be?


In three years I intend to be operating my own studio that has a slate of projects from animation, live-action, kids programming, podcasting, gaming, television/streaming, and feature films.


Q: Your favorite quote?


Teamwork makes the dream work.



Q: What is your dream project?


My dream project is a war picture I have in mind from the Afghan War that is a modern version of The Notebook.


Q: What are some things that you love?


I love being a father; it has given me purpose and clarity in my life. I love swimming because it relaxes me. I love sipping an espresso in the morning dew. And I love seeing my vision come to fruition and lighting up the faces of those who enjoyed my work.



Q: How can your fans get updates about your latest projects? Your website or social media links?


Prosper is available now on Video on Demand at any of your favorite platforms and they can learn more about the movie at Facebook.com/ProsperTheMovie. People can learn more about me at www.TheExpertProcess.com where I can be reached. For any indie filmmakers or aspiring filmmakers, feel free to reach out to see how I may help you. 



No comments