My Instagram

A great conversation with CEO of Jingzhu Garments Co Ltd: David Mendelsohn

You can’t build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Henry Ford.


We did an interview with David Mendelsohn. Read the full interview here:
 

Q : How would you describe yourself in one word?
 
Ambitious
 

Q : Let’s talk a bit about your work and what is the secret behind your success?
 
I owe a lot to my father who started my entrepreneurial vision! I’m second generation in textiles sportswear, and this directly came from working in my fathers factory in Sydney, Australia. He drilled into me at an early age 16, of how import/export business is run. Often brought me on his sales and factory trips, to see first hand how business is conducted. The irony is that I said for all the problems in the trade, I wouldn’t want to be in the business. So, when I turned 21, he gave me two choices, I give you money and if you spend it all don’t come back to me to ask for more, or I train you up to run your own business one day, so I took the latter! No regrets when I look back.
In my opinion, the harder you work the more chances you have a break in life or meeting that person who becomes a partner or mentor in the future. I was a D student at school, not really an academic but when I found something I’m passionate about or believe in then I sink my whole heart, sweat and tears into it.
 

Q : As a CEO of Jingzhu Garments Co Ltd what Aims you have ?
 
I expect to always do better than the previous year turnover. As a global sales director and sitting on the board or a few companies, this is a realistic measure. I don’t believe in setting KPI’s that even you know are on cloud 9. Smaller milestones, lead to bigger goals.
 

Q : Please tell us more about the Jingzhu Garments Co Ltd ?
 
Jingzhu Garment co Ltd was founded by a Taiwanese family, and still run by the son who moved to China some 20 years ago, to manufacture all types of clothing, such as; Sportswear, Ski, Activewear, Swimwear, Infants, Kids, Female and male O.E.M Apparel. We pride our success for the past 18 years on quality & service, providing products to some of the most success sports bodies globally from NBA, NFL, MLB, Formula 1, MotoGP, Lamborghini to name a few.
 

Q : Why do you feel this is the ideal profession for you?
 
I love what I do!
 

Q : Can you please tell us about your first import/export company?
 
Very good question and will be delighted to elaborate. It was my first failure in business. The company was called DGM International, name is after my initials, which in hindsight if you put your name to something you have to own it. It’s a classic text book case, from 2001 to 2007, the business grew year on year and what do one need if you expand Capital. So, I went to banks for OD’s, discount factoring for invoices and short term money lenders to help with the growth. I did an M&A, and the business doubled over night, over $10mil, which takes a certain C.E.O to manage, as you end up hiring more people and more pressure. The long of the short of the story is that debt become a major issue when a couple of our major contracts were lost, and we could re-pay our overhanging borrowing from the creditors, so I experiences the first Bankruptcy at 27 years of age. A great lesson learned and no regrets.
 

Q : Can you please tell us about the most successful project you have worked on.
 
They are all successful which is what I alluded too above, milestones. In textiles it’s unforgiving, if you produce any production that has a defect rate of more than 3-5% universal standards, your expected to replace the production. However, the longest development on samples and production was Bentley, 1.5 years working with Bentley in Crewe in the UK and a 3rd Party design agency in London. The brief was tendered out and I was the successful candidate from a list of 5 suppliers, so that was a good moment. Not only that the final product range and sell through was the most successful to-date. So was very rewarding with the Kudos.
 

Q : What do you do when not working?
 
I never really switch off work subconsciously, I love meeting people, invest in start ups and have a knack pushing the boundaries. I feel like I’m cheating myself if I’m not working. I try allocate time to the wife and children on the weekends, but our factory works on Saturdays, so there is work to be done and Sunday is about planning for the week ahead.
 

Q : Where do you see yourself in three years from now, or where would you like to be?
 
Most definitely living and working still in Asia, lots happening and great opportunities across APEC.
 

Q : What is your dream project?
 
To work on another Olympic team, we produced the team-wear for Switzerland for the Beijing Olympics and that was pretty special project.
 

Q : How can people find you and follow you online? Your website or social media links ?
 
www.linkedin.com/in/david-mendelsohn-61354158




No comments